New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 16:07:45 UTC 2021

tir. 1. jun. 2021 23.57 skrev Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net>:

> Requiring a 100 meg upload really changes up the dynamics of the WISP
> capabilities, resulting in fiber-only at a cost increase of 20x - 40x...
>  for something that isn't needed.

I will admit to zero WISP experience but wifi is symmetrical speed up/down
so why wouldn't a WISP not also be?

Wifi 6E higher speed and base control of clients, subchannels,
simultaneously transmission from multiple clients etc. All good stuff that
should allow a WISP to deliver much higher upload.

As soon a certain threshold is reached, higher speed will not cause more
utilisation of the airwaves.

The WISP will need to invest in wifi 6E gear, which I suspect is the real
problem.

Regards

Baldur