Spectrum (legacy TWC) Infrastructure - Contact Off List

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Mon Feb 6 15:55:04 UTC 2023

Mike Hammett wrote:

> In no way is what I said wrong. Incumbent operators (coax or copper
> pairs) screw things up constantly (whether technically or in the
> business side of things), prompting a sea of independent operators
> to overbuild them (or fill in where they haven't).

See below:

:     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incumbent_local_exchange_carrier
:     Various regional independents also held incumbent monopolies
:     in their respective regions.

to know many independent operators are incumbent operators.

> I don't mean non-RBOC ILECs. I mean WISPs, regional fiber operators,

I'm afraid "non-RBOC" is a synonym of "independent".

Anyway, ILECs including both RBOCs and thousands of non-RBOC ones
should be the regional fiber operators, as I already wrote:

: Many ILECs enjoying regional monopoly should be 100+ years old:

:     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_telephone_company
:     By 1903 while the Bell system had 1,278,000 subscribers on
:     1,514 main exchanges, the independents, excluding non-profit
:     rural cooperatives, claimed about 2 million subscribers on
:     6,150 exchanges.[1]
:     The size ranged from small mom and pop companies run by a
:     husband and wife team, to large independent companies,

: many of which should now be PON operators still enjoying regional
: monopoly.

 > Bob from down the street that retired and built a fiber company to
 > serve his small town. I mean companies with less than 10,000
 > customers and are younger than 20 years. There are literally
 > thousands of them in the US and they're only getting more formidable
 > in the face of lousy incumbents.

See above:

:     The size ranged from small mom and pop companies run by a
:     husband and wife team

Thousands of Bobs from down the street retired and built telephone
companies, now recognized as non-RBOC ILECs, to serve their small
towns 100+ years ago.

Newly coming Bobs can survive as regional fiber operators
only in regions not served by ILECs as PON providers.

						Masataka Ohta