Spectrum (legacy TWC) Infrastructure - Contact Off List

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Mon Feb 6 14:45:08 UTC 2023

In no way is what I said wrong. Incumbent operators (coax or copper pairs) screw things up constantly (whether technically or in the business side of things), prompting a sea of independent operators to overbuild them (or fill in where they haven't). I was responding specifically to what Eric said, "I wish that the people running the networks at residential last mile operators with many hundreds of thousands up to dozens of millions of CPEs would push back against efforts from executives/management to participate in this race to the bottom of cost and network quality."

I don't mean non-RBOC ILECs. I mean WISPs, regional fiber operators, Bob from down the street that retired and built a fiber company to serve his small town. I mean companies with less than 10,000 customers and are younger than 20 years. There are literally thousands of them in the US and they're only getting more formidable in the face of lousy incumbents.

Oh, and I just noticed that spell check moved me away from condescension, rather than closer to it. Oops.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange