FCC proposes higher speed goals (100/20 Mbps) for USF providers

Kord Martin kord at firstnationscable.com
Wed May 25 20:10:06 UTC 2022

    I don’t think game manufacturers expand their games based on
    available download bandwidth. I think that games have gotten richer
    and the graphics environments and capabilities have improved and
    content more expansive to a point where yes, games are several
    BluRays worth of download now instead of being shipped on multiple
    discs.

When I was a rural DSL customer, my problem wasn't necessarily with the
size of the games, but rather that you'd have to re-download the entire
game every week. It would take almost an entire week to download a game,
then by time it's finally updated they've updated a tree texture and you
need to download the whole game again. I understand why this happens but
customers who didn't have access to broadband just got the shaft.

I still have a lot of friends who don't have access to broadband and
simply can't play modern games because of the always-online requirement
and constant, huge updates.

    If the target is a non-fiber service, then 100/20 might make sense.
    If Fiber is being installed, then it’s hard to find a rationale for
    1Gbps being more expensive than any lower capacity.

The question I have for other operators: if you have a group of
customers that subscribe to a 100Mb service, and all of them suddenly
switched to a 1Gb service, would you expect an increase in overall
bandwidth usage?

I've been looking around for some other comments on bandwidth trends but
I don't know how much of that would/should be confidential based on
privacy or trade secret.