FCC proposes higher speed goals (100/20 Mbps) for USF providers

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Tue May 31 15:05:34 UTC 2022

"The question I have for other operators: if you have a group of customers that subscribe to a 100Mb service, and all of them suddenly switched to a 1Gb service, would you expect an increase in overall bandwidth usage? "

As someone offering up to gigabit, I wouldn't. They don't use what they have now, so why would they use more?

I'm sure it's more than a 0 difference, but it isn't statistically relevant.

That's, however, assuming you've spent the money to overbuild the infrastructure in that area to support something not needed.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com