CC: s to Non List Members (was Re: 202203080924.AYC Re: 202203071610.AYC Re: Making Use of 240/4 NetBlock)

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Wed Mar 9 16:22:49 UTC 2022

> It doesn't take any OS upgrades for "getting everything to work on
> IPv6".  All the OS's and routers have supported IPv6 for more than a
> decade.

There are lots of vendors, both inside and outside the networking space,
that have consistently released products with non-existant or broken IPv6
implementations. That includes smaller startups, as well as very big
names. An affirmative choice is often made to make sure v4 works , get the
thing out the door, and deal with v6 later, or if a big client complains.

To be completely fair, some of those vendors also mess up IPv4
implementations as well, but in my experience , v4 stuff is more often
'vanilla' coding issues, whereas v6 mistakes tend to be more basic
functional errors, like handling leading zeros correctly.