CC: s to Non List Members (was Re: 202203080924.AYC Re: 202203071610.AYC Re: Making Use of 240/4 NetBlock)

Tim Howe tim.h at bendtel.com
Wed Mar 9 17:09:10 UTC 2022

On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 11:22:49 -0500
Tom Beecher <beecher at beecher.cc> wrote:

> > It doesn't take any OS upgrades for "getting everything to work on
> > IPv6".  All the OS's and routers have supported IPv6 for more than a
> > decade.
> >

> There are lots of vendors, both inside and outside the networking space,
> that have consistently released products with non-existant or broken IPv6
> implementations. That includes smaller startups, as well as very big
> names. An affirmative choice is often made to make sure v4 works , get the
> thing out the door, and deal with v6 later, or if a big client complains.

	This a thousand times.  Don't believe the claims of IPv6
support until you have fully tested it.  Almost no vendor is including
any IPv6 testing in their QA process and nobody is including it in any
of their support staff training.  Their labs may not even have v6
capability.  Some of our biggest vendors who have supposedly supported
v6 for over a decade have rudimentary, show-stopping bugs.  The support
staff at these vendors have often never even seen a customer using v6,
and they have no idea what it looks like on their own gear.

	A subset of these vendors will listen to you and fix the
problems.  Give them your support and loyalty.  I want to name names so
bad...

--TimH