home router battery backup

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Thu Jan 13 05:13:48 UTC 2022

On 1/12/22 20:50, Sean Donelan wrote:
> Need to look at the entire infrastructure.  Now, its less about backup
> for the hardwired router, and better utility backups and construction
> for mobile provider infrastructure.

Over here, if there is an outage, most people lose their home Internet,
and fall back to the nearest mobile tower.

The problem is the mobile towers in residential areas are no longer
being invested in, so they get congested either on the radio side, or
the backhaul side, or both. I mean, you have a clear 4G or 5G signal,
but can't pass diddly. Not even an SMS.

On top of that, they have enough Li-Ion batteries for 4 - 8 hours,
assuming they haven't been vandalized.

Multiply that across tens of thousands of towers nation-wide, and it's a
huge logistical problem.

Mark.