Facebook post-mortems... - Update!

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Tue Oct 5 16:49:24 UTC 2021

On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 9:56 AM Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> wrote:

> On 10/5/21 15:40, Mark Tinka wrote:
>

> > I don't disagree with you one bit. It's for that exact reason that we
> > built:
> >
> >     https://as37100.net/
> >
> > ... not for us, but specifically for other random network operators
> > around the world whom we may never get to drink a crate of wine with.

Can someone explain to me, preferably in baby words, why so many providers
view information like https://as37100.net/?bgp as secret/proprietary?
I've interacted with numerous providers who require an NDA or pinky-swear
to get a list of their communities -- is this really just 1: security
through obscurity, 2: an artifact of the culture of not sharing, 3: an
attempt to seem cool by making you jump through hoops to prove your
worthiness, 4: some weird 'mah competitors won't be able to figure out my
secret sauce without knowing that 17 means Asia, or 5: something else?

Yes, some providers do publish these (usually on the website equivalent of
a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door
saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”), and PeeringDB has definitely helped, but
I still don't understand many providers stance on this...

--
The computing scientist’s main challenge is not to get confused by the
complexities of his own making.