Redeploying most of 127/8, 0/8, 240/4 and *.0 as unicast

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Nov 25 16:22:00 UTC 2021

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 09:43:26AM -0800, Michael Thomas wrote:

> On 11/19/21 8:27 AM, Randy Bush wrote:
> > these measurements would be great if there could be a full research-
> > style paper, with methodology artifacts, and reproducible results.
> > otherwise it disappears in the gossip stream of mailimg lists.
> >
> Maybe an experimental rfc making it a rfc 1918-like subnet and implementing
> it on openwrt or something like that to see what happens. how many ip
> cameras and the like roll over and die? same for class E addresses too, I
> suppose. The question with anything that asks about legacy is how long the
> long tail actually is.
>
> Mike, not that have any position on whether this is a good idea or not

	I can tell you it's observable out there and if i use my home network
to follow default i can tell it is working through those devices at
least.

I agree with Randy it would be good if someone did this, it shouldn't be
too hard with ripe atlas and a provider deciding to announce something
like 240.2.3.0/24 to see if it can be reached.

	That's at least a decent measurement and report, but the client
side OS will still be a variable that is difficult to digest.  Not sure
how many people are running very old IP stacks.  This is another hard to
measure problem.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net