Redeploying most of 127/8, 0/8, 240/4 and *.0 as unicast

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 16:37:26 UTC 2021

On Thu, Nov 25, 2021 at 8:25 AM Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 09:43:26AM -0800, Michael Thomas wrote:
> >
> > On 11/19/21 8:27 AM, Randy Bush wrote:
> > > these measurements would be great if there could be a full research-
> > > style paper, with methodology artifacts, and reproducible results.
> > > otherwise it disappears in the gossip stream of mailimg lists.
> > >
> > Maybe an experimental rfc making it a rfc 1918-like subnet and implementing
> > it on openwrt or something like that to see what happens. how many ip
> > cameras and the like roll over and die? same for class E addresses too, I
> > suppose. The question with anything that asks about legacy is how long the
> > long tail actually is.
> >
> > Mike, not that have any position on whether this is a good idea or not
>
>         I can tell you it's observable out there and if i use my home network
> to follow default i can tell it is working through those devices at
> least.
>
> I agree with Randy it would be good if someone did this, it shouldn't be
> too hard with ripe atlas and a provider deciding to announce something

the atlas is good stuff, I am curious (OT) if they have added a
videoconferencing-like test to it?

> like 240.2.3.0/24 to see if it can be reached.

I very much would like a study of 240/4. In particular, announcing
255.255/16 might pick up a lot
of misconfigured routers out there.

Tests of the DNS would also be useful. This test setup has been
working for years now...

$ host postel.taht.net
postel.taht.net has address 85.90.246.167
postel.taht.net has address 255.255.255.254 # wireguard vpn presently
postel.taht.net has address 0.0.0.1 # wireguard vpn
postel.taht.net has IPv6 address 2a01:7e01:e001:28:f3ee:d002:0:beef #
ironically the ipv6 address is down and I hadn't noticed!

--
I tried to build a better future, a few times:
https://wayforward.archive.org/?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.icei.org

Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC