New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sat May 29 02:00:13 UTC 2021

On Fri, 28 May 2021, Mike Lyon wrote:
> since it appears we are arbitrarily pulling random numbers out of our asses
> for "minimums?"

I would love to see an experiment where the CEOs of the major
communication companies were forced to use only their "lifeline" products
for 30 days, including only their "lifeline" customer service lines.

Based on the CEOs experience, then we might have some data whether those
products are viable for modern households, work-from-home, home-school,
streaming.

One of the problems with the product definitions: the "minimum" is
treated as the "maximum" (up to speed).  The actual bandwidth delivered is
often much less than the advertised "up to" numbers.

E.g. advertised 25 mbps /3 mbps => actual 7 mbps/768 kbps with data caps