New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Sat May 29 02:38:57 UTC 2021

Far from a major company, but I run two ISPs, one fixed wireless and one DSL\fiber.

This is my "home" connection. (See attached).

Max In: 4.55Mb; Average In: 421.44Kb; Current In: 333.26Kb;
Max Out: 11.16Mb; Average Out: 2.04Mb; Current Out: 1.53Mb;

That's a monthly graph of an interface facing the home, so In is upload and Out is download. That's four homes, six adults (five of them under 40), four children, two of which have been e-learning from home most of the year. One of the adults is me, definitely not a normal user. There is a Ring camera in one of the houses. There are a bunch of other cameras, but they're on another VLAN that goes to a local NAS.

People vastly overestimate how much Internet they think they (and others) need.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com