New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 22:03:53 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 11:46 PM Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net> wrote:

> 2.4 gigabit per channel, but only 1.2 gigabit from a given access point.
>
> Most often, WISPs choose down\up ratios between 85/15 and 66/34 and then
> sell plans appropriately. If we're now required to have a symmetric 100
> megs, you'll be robbing even more of the downstream for the upstream. Why
> would you do that? So that you're relatively capable of providing what
> you're selling. The alternative is gross oversubscription.

66/34 is 2:1 or exactly the same as GPON (2.4 down, 1.2 up). We sell 1000
symmetrical on that GPON and the customers are happy. You would have much
less oversubscription with 100/100 on a 1.2 Gbps wireless with 66:34
down/up ratio, than we are doing with GPON and 1000/1000. We are also doing
128 customers on a single OLT port.

Remember that a single customer only adds a few Mbps peak to your bandwidth
usage.

Regards,

Baldur