New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Thu Jun 3 21:46:06 UTC 2021

2.4 gigabit per channel, but only 1.2 gigabit from a given access point.

Most often, WISPs choose down\up ratios between 85/15 and 66/34 and then sell plans appropriately. If we're now required to have a symmetric 100 megs, you'll be robbing even more of the downstream for the upstream. Why would you do that? So that you're relatively capable of providing what you're selling. The alternative is gross oversubscription.

Cable will have to reassign their DOCSIS channels similarly (and whatever equipment swaps are needed in the plant to accomplish that).

VDSL-type services are kind of stuck as I'm not aware of any mechanisms to accomplish that.

and why?

Again, I'm not saying people shouldn't be able to get higher speeds. I'm just against raising the bar until what's under the bar has been taken care of.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange