New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Forrest Christian (List Account) lists at packetflux.com
Fri Jun 4 02:17:35 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 4:04 PM Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 66/34 is 2:1 or exactly the same as GPON (2.4 down, 1.2 up). We sell 1000
> symmetrical on that GPON and the customers are happy. You would have much
> less oversubscription with 100/100 on a 1.2 Gbps wireless with 66:34
> down/up ratio, than we are doing with GPON and 1000/1000. We are also doing
> 128 customers on a single OLT port.

Oh, well that might be the difference right there.

Many wisps generally tolerate a much lower oversubscription ratio.   They
want their customers to always get 25Mb/s when they buy a 25Mb/s plan.
 There is none of this 'up to 25Mb/s' that some providers sell.

Most WISPs could easily sell a plan where the 'up to' speed was similar to
fiber.   But then they would have to deal with angry customers who are
whining that they aren't getting their 1Gb/s during peak hours.

BTW, I don't think we've ever built a fiber network with over a 1:32 ratio
for this reason...
--
- Forrest