New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Tue Jun 1 17:33:52 UTC 2021

"Why is 100/100 seen as problematic to the industry players?"

In rural settings, it's low density, so you're spending a bunch of money with a low probability of getting any return. Also, a low probability that the customer cares.

" There's an underlying, I think, assumption that people won't use access speed/bandwidth that keeps coming up."

On a 95th% basis, no, they don't use it.

On shorter time spans, sure. Does it really matter, though? If I can put a 100 meg file into Dropbox in under a second versus 10 seconds, does that really matter? If Netflix gets my form submission in 0.01 seconds instead of .1 seconds, does it matter?

I think you'll find few to argue against "faster is better." The argument is at what price? At what perceived benefit?

Show me an average end-user that can tell the difference between a 10 meg upload and a 1 gig upload, aside from media-heavy professionals or the one-time full backup of a phone, PC, etc. Okay, show me two of them, ten of them...

99% of the end-users I know can't tell the difference in any amount of speed above 5 megs. It then just either works or doesn't work.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com