New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 17:14:43 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 12:44 PM Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net> wrote:

> That is true, but if no one uses it, is it really gone?

There's an underlying, I think, assumption that people won't use access
speed/bandwidth that keeps coming up.
I don't think this is an accurate assumption. I don't think it's really
ever been accurate.

There are a bunch of examples in this thread of reasons why 'more than X'
is a good thing for the end-user, and that average usage over time is a bad
metric to use in the discussion. At the very least the ability to get
around/out-of serialization delays and microburst behavior is beneficial to
the end-user.

Maybe the question that's not asked (but should be) is:
  "Why is 100/100 seen as problematic to the industry players?"