DoD IP Space

Andy Ringsmuth andy at andyring.com
Thu Jan 21 14:40:24 UTC 2021

> On Jan 20, 2021, at 11:10 PM, Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us> wrote:
>
> There have already been at least two lines in the sand that the IETF has backed down from. Is it even useful for us to keep saying "IPv6 is the way forward" any more?

Oh, I could not agree more. We need IETF or other powers-that-be to stop the line-in-the-sand stuff and instead go with a line in the wet concrete.

I’m sure we all remember Y2k (well, most of us, there could be some young-uns on the list). That day was happening whether we wanted it to or not. It was an unchangeable, unmovable deadline.

THAT is what we need for IPv6 implementation. Will it happen? Probably not, sadly.

I’d love to see a line in the concrete of, say, January 1, 2025, whereby IPv6 will be the default.

----
Andy Ringsmuth
5609 Harding Drive
Lincoln, NE 68521-5831
(402) 304-0083
andy at andyring.com

“Better even die free, than to live slaves.” - Frederick Douglas, 1863