DoD IP Space

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Thu Jan 21 19:07:42 UTC 2021

----- On Jan 21, 2021, at 6:40 AM, Andy Ringsmuth andy at andyring.com wrote:

Hi,

> I’m sure we all remember Y2k

Ah, yes. As a young IT consultant wearing a suit and tie (rofl), I upgraded many
bioses in many office buildings in the months leading up to it...

> I’d love to see a line in the concrete of, say, January 1, 2025, whereby IPv6
> will be the default.

The challenge with that is the market. Y2K was a problem that was existed. It was
a brick wall that we would hit no matter what. The faulty code was released years
before the date.

We, IETF, or even the UN could come up with 1/1/25 as the date where we switch off
IPv4, and you will still find networks that run IPv4 for the simple reason that
the people who own those networks have a choice. With Y2K there was no choice.

The best way to have IPv6 implemented worldwide is by having an incentive for the
executives that make the decisions. From experience, as I've said on this list a
few times before, I can tell you that decision makers with a limited budget that
have to choose between a new revenue generating feature, or a company-wide
implementation of IPv6, will choose the one that's best for their own short-term
interests.

On that note, I did have a perhaps silly idea: One way to create the demand could
be to have browser makers add a warning to the URL bar, similar to the HTTPS
warnings we see today. If a site is IPv4 only, warn that the site is using
deprecated technology.

Financial incentives also work. Perhaps we can convince Mr. Biden to give a .5%
tax cut to corporations that fully implement v6. That will create some bonus
targets.

Thanks,

Sabri