DoD IP Space

Bryan Fields Bryan at bryanfields.net
Wed Jan 20 21:08:34 UTC 2021

On 1/20/21 12:52 PM, John Curran wrote:
> On 20 Jan 2021, at 12:17 PM, Bryan Fields <Bryan at bryanfields.net<mailto:Bryan at bryanfields.net>> wrote:
>>
>> AFAIK IANA and the RIR's cannot enforce use of IP space assignments on any
>> network.
>
> <chuckle>  While route hijacking isn't necessarily an ARIN issue, I will note that several US law enforcement agencies (FBI & NCIS Cybercrime units) are quite interested in such events and do investigate them looking for criminal activity.
>
> (See https://pc.nanog.org/static/published/meetings/NANOG77/2108/20191028_Elverson_Your_As_Is_v1.pdf for details.)

Can you ensure quoting is done properly?  I don't want more confusion between
what I wrote and the reply.

Nowhere did I state this was used to be for criminal or less than above board
use.  As soon as an entity decides to engage in criminal activities we're
beyond the question of what numbers they can run on their network.  I can't
think of a worse entity to hijack space from than the DOD.  Very few other
AS's have the ability to make it rain fire over a hijacker's NOC :-)

My comment was in terms of what a private network can do inside their own
network, or as part of a multi-entity network that is separate from the
"Internet".  The bigger question is, should you do this?  The answer is no for
a host of reasons, as networks rarely stay private.  Even the GRX went through
a big cleanup relating to this, and as of the last 6 years (maybe more)
requires space used to be allocated via the RIR's and not RFC1918 space.  IIRC
they still allow private ASN's.

--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice