DoD IP Space

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 21:01:36 UTC 2021

Organizations that I have seen doing as you describe, because they ran out
of RFC1918 IP space, are also often using their existing private IP space
wastefully in the first place. Rather than using DoD /8s internally, if
they absolutely need to support v4-only equipment on their internal
management networks, they might be better served by considering that maybe
every POP doesn't need its own /24.

I'm talking about things I've seen where all of the management/monitoring
IPs of the equipment at a site might fit very comfortably in a v4 /27. But
that would be a labor intensive IP space and management address auditing
process of renumbering things, fixing internal DNS and rDNS, and updating
any myriad of things that might have the direct IP addresses of stuff
hardcoded into configuration files.

Rather than doing all of the above, they simply go "hey here's a /8 that's
highly unlikely our management network will ever need to talk to it in a
global routing table", and continue on with their /24 plan per tiny POP.