DPDK and energy efficiency

Douglas Fischer fischerdouglas at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 11:33:35 UTC 2021

I'm very happy to see interest in DPDK and power consumption.

But IMHO, the questions do not cover the actual reality of DPDK.
That característic of "100% CPU" depends on several aspects, like:
 - How old are the hardware on DPDK.
 - What type of DPDK Instructions are made(Very Dynamic as Statefull CGNAT,
ou Static ACLs?)
 - Using or not the measurements of DPDK Input/Drop/Fowarding.
 - CPU Affinity done according to the demand of traffic
 - SR-IOV (sharing resources) on DPDK.

The way I saw, the questions induce the public to conclude that DPDK ALWAYS
has 100% CPU usage, which is not true.

--
Douglas Fernando Fischer
Engº de Controle e Automação