DPDK and energy efficiency

Etienne-Victor Depasquale edepa at ieee.org
Mon Feb 22 11:45:52 UTC 2021

> The way I saw, the questions induce the public to conclude that DPDK
> ALWAYS has 100% CPU usage, which is not true.

I don't concur.

Every research paper I've read indicates that, regardless of whether it has
packets to process or not, DPDK PMDs (poll-mode drivers) prevent the CPU
from falling into an LPI (low-power idle).

When it has no packets to process, the PMD runs the processor in a polling
loop that keeps utilization of the running core at 100%.

Cheers,

Etienne