Famous operational issues

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Feb 16 22:36:59 UTC 2021

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021, Sabri Berisha wrote:

> ----- On Feb 16, 2021, at 2:08 PM, Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I was thinking about how we need a war stories nanog track. My favorite was
>> being on call when the router was stolen.
>
> Wait... what? I would love to listen to that call between you and your manager.
>
> But, here is one for you then. I was once called to a POP where one of our main
> routers was down. Due to political reasons, my access had been revoked. My
> manager told me to do whatever I needed to do to fix the problem, he would cover
> my behind. I did, and I "gently" removed the door. My manager held word.

This reminds me of one of the Sprint CO's we were colo'd in.  Access to
the CLEC colo area was via a back door through the Men's room!  One
weekend, I had to make the drive to that site to deal with an access
server issue, and I found they'd locked the back door to the Men's room
from the colo floor side, so no access.  Using supplies I found inside the
CO, I managed open the locked door and get to our gear.  That route, being
our only access route was probably some kind of violation.  Not all of our
techs were guys.

While we never had a router stolen, we did have a flash card stolen from
one of our routers in a WCOM colo facility (most customers in open relay
racks).  It was right after they'd upgraded the doors to the colo area
from simplex locks to card access.  I was pissed for quite some time that
WCOM knew who was in there (due to the card access system), but refused to
tell us.  I figured it was probably one of their own people.