Famous operational issues

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Tue Feb 16 22:18:49 UTC 2021

----- On Feb 16, 2021, at 2:08 PM, Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net wrote:

Hi,

> I was thinking about how we need a war stories nanog track. My favorite was
> being on call when the router was stolen.

Wait... what? I would love to listen to that call between you and your manager.

But, here is one for you then. I was once called to a POP where one of our main
routers was down. Due to political reasons, my access had been revoked. My
manager told me to do whatever I needed to do to fix the problem, he would cover
my behind. I did, and I "gently" removed the door. My manager held word.

Another interesting one: entering a pop to find it flooded. Luckily there were
raised floors with only fiber underneath the floor panels. The NOC ignored the
warnings because "it was impossible for water to enter the building as it was
not raining". Yeah, but water pipes do burst from time to time.

But my favorite was pressing an undocumented combination of keys on a fire
alarm system which set off the Inergen protection without warning, immediately.
The noise and pressure of all that air entering the datacenter space with me
still in it is something I will never forget. Similar to the response of my
manager who, instead of asking me if I was ok, decided to try and light a piece
of paper. "Oh wow, it does work, I can't set anything on fire".

All if this was, obviously, in the late 1990s and early 2000s. These days,
things are -slightly- more professional.

Thanks,

Sabri