questions about ARIN ipv6 allocation

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Dec 8 18:01:39 UTC 2021

On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 9:54 AM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 9:49 AM Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
> > > While that was inevitable at ARIN’s inception and continued for many
> > > years, it is not currently the case that there are more legacy
> > > customers than paying customers
> >
> > i am easily confused.  so just to keep my nouns the same over history,
> > could you phrase that in terms of resource holders, members and
> > non-members; where members == signed a *RSA?  thanks.
>
> Hi Randy,
>
> Probably not since ARIN "members" are the specific class of ARIN
> registrants who have received an "allocation" of IP addresses.
> Everybody else, including folks who have received an "assignment" of
> IP addresses falls into the "end user" or "legacy" categories and are
> not "members."

And since I wasn't clear: both "members" and "end users" have signed
an RSA with ARIN and pay an annual fee while "legacy" organizations
have not and do not. So, for example, the 8000 ASN-only organizations
that John mentioned are paying, RSA-signatory end-users not members.
They often have "legacy" addresses under a different organization
name, hence the need for the AS number.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--