ARIN customers / members (was: Re: questions about ARIN ipv6 allocation)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Dec 9 11:33:33 UTC 2021

On 8 Dec 2021, at 1:47 PM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com<mailto:randy at psg.com>> wrote:

hi john

While that was inevitable at ARIN’s inception and continued for many
years, it is not currently the case that there are more legacy
customers than paying customers

i am easily confused.  so just to keep my nouns the same over history,
could you phrase that in terms of resource holders, members and
non-members; where members == signed a *RSA?  thanks.

Randy -

My apologies for the lack of clarity - the challenge is that having “signed an RSA” has never equated to being an ARIN Member – ARIN historically has only considered ISPs to be members – so even end-user organizations who signed an RSA and received IPv4 and/or IPv6 resources directly from ARIN have not been considered members.  (Similarly for  customers who signed an RSA and received just an ASN)

The situation for ARIN’s IPv4/IPv6 customers will change in January, when all customers with IPv4 and/or IPv6 number resources will pay on the same fee table for ARIN registry services and will all be ARIN Members and will all have the opportunity to participate in ARIN governance if they wish.

So we’re approximately here at the beginning of December 2021 -

        7500 ISPs  (i.e. services under an RSA / Members)
        8500 End-users (i.e. services under an RSA / Not Members Today)
      15250 Legacy non-contracted (receiving services w/o fee or agreement / Not Members)

In a month (January 2022) it will become -

      16000 ARIN IPv4/IPv6 customers  (i.e. services under an RSA and with membership rights)
      15250 Legacy non-contracted (receiving services w/o fee or agreement / Not Members)

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO