An update on the AfriNIC situation

John Kristoff jtk at dataplane.org
Tue Aug 31 02:06:47 UTC 2021

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:29:48 -0700
Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:

> Further, the registries are not engaged in the daily operations of the internet.

Hi Owen,

Your statement above I have to insist is simply incorrect.  In addition
to the traditional services that are relied upon in a variety of daily
operations (e.g. WHOIS, IRR, DNS reverse delegations), the increasingly
important RPKI TAs/PPs services are of utmost importance in the daily
operations of an increasing number of networks within and outside their
region.  They are just a different kind of infrastructure service
operator than we may be commonly thing of when it comes to network
operations.

John