An update on the AfriNIC situation

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Tue Aug 31 02:42:33 UTC 2021

It strikes me that ( without pointing at anyone in particular ) that
there's a bit of absolutism trending in this conversation.

It's possible for many things in this list to be true.

- It's possible that AFRINIC may have been following it's policies
accurately at the time of the initial allocations,and the current
leadership was overstepping their bounds trying to reclaim them.
- It's possible that AFRINIC may NOT have been following it's own policies
at the time of the initial allocations, and the current leadership is
trying to correct those past mistakes.
- It's possible that CI accurately represented information to AFRINIC.
- It's possible that CI did not.
- It's possible that CI has, at all times,been properly in compliance with
AFRNIC policies.
- It's possible that CI has not.
- It's possible that CI may been been following the letter, if not the
spirit of the policies.
- It's possible that AFRINIC was intentionally delaying restoration of the
allocations after the court order.
- It's possible that AFRINIC was a little slow to respond, waiting on
advice from legal counsel before taking action.

I think we could mostly agree that while potentially frustrating ,such
things can and have happened in the past,and can and have been rectified.

However, where I think we ALL should be able to agree is that CI's
garnishment action is exceptionally punitive and out of line.