An update on the AfriNIC situation

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Aug 30 23:29:48 UTC 2021

Um, Mike, no… That’s neither a fair nor accurate characterization of the current
situation.

AFRINIC has been given access to the equivalent of two months of operating costs
from their bank accounts in a recent court ruling, so they are nowhere close to shut
down. All of the chicken littles running around claiming otherwise notwithstanding,
no, AFRINIC was never actually shut down.

Further, the registries are not engaged in the daily operations of the internet. They
come into play for adds and changes, primarily and those transactions while important
are not generally urgent. Were AFRINIC unable to staff its offices for some period of
time, I’m quite certain that the other RIRs would be able to take up those key functions,
either by loaning personnel to AFRINIC or by taking over those necessary roles as
needed either temporarily or permanently.

So while having the system react strongly to such a threat would be understandable,
that’s a very overblown and inaccurate characterization of the threat in question.

Owen