An update on the AfriNIC situation

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Aug 31 00:07:49 UTC 2021

> On Aug 30, 2021, at 16:19 , Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:
>

> Owen,
>
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2021, 02:10 Owen DeLong via NANOG, <nanog at nanog.org <mailto:nanog at nanog.org>> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 30, 2021, at 07:44 , Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> wrote:
> >

> > On 8/30/21 16:19, Owen DeLong via NANOG wrote:
> >
> >> You may not like Lu and/or his business model. I’m not a fan of his business model myself, but it is technically permitted under existing policy.
> >
> > And yet you continue to work for and support him in this capacity.
>
> Yes… Because it is permitted by the rules as they exist.
>
> Cloud Innovation your employer is in the business of leasing IPv4 addresses in Asia, USA and Europe etc.

Not my employer, my client.

> AFRINIC has never permitted this and Ashil from AFRINIC publicly stated as such in the below archived thread.

Yet their policies do not prohibit it. If you can find someplace where it is actually documented as a violation of policy, then by
all means, provide that, but you have so far failed to do so despite repeatedly bringing up this argument.

It’s simply not sufficient to say “they never allowed this” if it’s not prohibited by actual policy.

> https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/community-discuss/2021-February/003907.html <https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/community-discuss/2021-February/003907.html>
>
> You always claim policy blah blah blah in your defence of Cloud Innovation Ltd and Larus business model.
>
> But there it is. AFRINIC has never approved any IPv4 space for purposes of leasing them for money as through they were a product.

Except that they have and do every day… ISPs all lease IPv4 space for money. That’s what they do with them. They certainly don’t use
them exclusively on their own networks… They lease them to their customers.

The key difference between the majority of them and Cloud Innovation is that most of them also include connectivity service in the lease
and/or provide the lease in conjunction with some form of connectivity service. However, there’s nothing in the policy manual or the bylaws
to support a requirement that leasing and connectivity be tied to each other.

Owen