An update on the AfriNIC situation

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Tue Aug 31 07:44:32 UTC 2021

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021, 03:08 Owen DeLong, <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2021, at 16:19 , Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:
>

> Owen,
>
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2021, 02:10 Owen DeLong via NANOG, <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:

>> business model myself, but it is technically permitted under existing
>> policy.
>> >
>> > And yet you continue to work for and support him in this capacity.
>>
>> Yes… Because it is permitted by the rules as they exist.
>

> Cloud Innovation your employer is in the business of leasing IPv4
> addresses in Asia, USA and Europe etc.
>

> Not my employer, my client.
>
> AFRINIC has never permitted this and Ashil from AFRINIC publicly stated as
> such in the below archived thread.
>

> Yet their policies do not prohibit it.

AFRINIC policies are developed by the community in-line with AFRINIC
constitution and related RSA is signed by resource members in-line with the
AFRINIC constitution which enshrines the objectives of AFRINIC as the RIR
for Africa region.

If you can find someplace where it is actually documented as a violation of
> policy, then by
> all means, provide that, but you have so far failed to do so despite
> repeatedly bringing up this argument.

I will quote from the AFRINIC bylaws (constution) here
https://afrinic.net/bylaws/

3.4) The Company shall have, both within and outside the Republic of
Mauritius, full capacity to carry and/or undertake any business or
activity, including but not limited to the following objects:

   1. to provide the service of allocating and registering Internet
   resources for the purposes of enabling communications via open system
   network protocols and to assist in the development and growth of the
   Internet in the African region;
   2. to promote the representation of AFRINIC membership and the Internet
   community of the African region by ensuring open and transparent
   communication and consensus-driven decision-making processes;
   3. to promote responsible management of Internet resources throughout
   the African region, as well as the responsible development and operation of
   Internet infrastructures;

> It’s simply not sufficient to say “they never allowed this” if it’s not
> prohibited by actual policy.

Allocation policies are such that resource members abide by the AFRINIC
constitution.

See above section 3.4 and the relevant subsections that refer to management
of number resource in reference to Africa region.

> https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/community-discuss/2021-February/003907.html
>
> You always claim policy blah blah blah in your defence of Cloud Innovation
> Ltd and Larus business model.
>
> But there it is. AFRINIC has never approved any IPv4 space for purposes of
> leasing them for money as through they were a product.
>

> Except that they have and do every day… ISPs all lease IPv4 space for
> money. That’s what they do with them. They certainly don’t use
> them exclusively on their own networks… They lease them to their customers.

AFRINIC has never approved IPv4 for purposes of leasing. There is a public
statement to this effect.

> The key difference between the majority of them and Cloud Innovation is
> that most of them also include connectivity service in the lease
> and/or provide the lease in conjunction with some form of connectivity
> service. However, there’s nothing in the policy manual or the bylaws
> to support a requirement that leasing and connectivity be tied to each
> other.

What justification did Cloud Innovation provide to AFRINIC when requesting
for those millions of IPs?

Cheers
Noah