Gaming Consoles and IPv4

Daniel Sterling sterling.daniel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 19:03:57 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 2:50 PM Josh Luthman
<josh at imaginenetworksllc.com> wrote:
> Based on packet captures and customer experiences, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Aye, you're right I'm sure. Thank you for the correction.

Where P2P does NOT come into play is:
1. on xbox
2. standard multiplayer
3. CoD games since at least 2013
4. in the US

That is, I haven't seen a non-dedicated-server host match in standard
multiplayer on xbox since CoD version 2013, and I've been looking.
That's just one datapoint from one user, but I haven't played on a
non-dedicated server since 2013 in xbox standard multiplayer.

P2P DOES come into play:
1. on PC
2. non-standard multiplayer (custom games) on any platform probably
3. maybe on xbox if you're not near any dedicated server. unsure on this

So yes it would seem to make sense for CoD to use ipv6 for those P2P
games. But then -- would they have to implement dual-stack for the
game on your PC? That seems even more complex than dual-stack on a
hosted server

-- Dan