alternative to voip gateways

Nick Edwards nick.z.edwards at gmail.com
Mon May 25 13:30:39 UTC 2020

We opted for Adtran TA5000's with 48 port VDSL2 vectoring combo cards,
going by expected losses we expect to have more than 50mbps d/l at all
cabins, we are going to lock them at 50 anyway sincve we reply on RF
to get data in first place. and use a central splitter to separate
vdsl and POTS at each cabin, must like everybody did adsl, apparently
this is largely how they do it in Europe vdsl and pots on same line
(just on a much bigger scale than us). This gives them their high
speed data and reliable POTS - since if the residential areas loses
power, not relying on end user SIP, their voice will still work when
their modems (and area) is without power.

We were advised that having an inline microfilter - like adsl, would
be more problematic at vdsl since it is essentially a bridge tap -
something we all know is bad, it would be much greater issue, and the
central splitter unit we looking at using allegedly avoids this
problem.

The cost of the cards (and chassis) would be not justified for small
operations, but at our numbers its actually a cost saving over the
dual devices path, as well as the metallic line testing ability.

Thanks to all for advice.