COVID-19 vs. our Networks

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Sat Mar 21 21:37:43 UTC 2020

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 04:42:51AM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> All I'm saying is at the moment, there is no empirical information to
> suggest that Netflix will break what's left of the Internet. Nor is
> there any empirical information suggesting that singling them out will
> help keep it going.

My remarks weren't about Netflix or any other particular service.
(FWIW, I agree with you on both quoted points about the lack of
evidence.  Maybe it'll arrive.  Maybe it won't.)

I was trying to speak, perhaps unsuccessfully, in broader terms about
trying to best position ourselves for challenges that we may not
see coming despite the aggregated millenia of expertise here.  I think
at this particular point in time we need to be ready for anything,
for a very nebulous and possibly quite surprising value of "anything".

---rsk