COVID-19 vs. our Networks

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Mar 21 22:17:08 UTC 2020

On 21/Mar/20 14:43, Alexandre Petrescu wrote:

> I tend to agree - I dont think there is any capacity problem in the
> core network or server platforms, including netflix.  I do not see it
> for my part as of now.  I am an end user, not a Network sysadmin.
>
> I heard about EU measures to attenuate such a problem tha tmight
> arrive - I think it is mis-informed.
>
> I also heard EC (European COmmission) looking to push all efforts in
> robotics, how could robotics help this, several ideas like drones, or
> the open source respiratory device, or why not sending a robot do
> shopping for me.  I think these look far fetched but are promissing.

Business models were always changing. What the Coronavirus has done is
amplify and accelerate those transitions.

The thing is even after the Coronavirus pandemic is solved, businesses
are going to have to adapt to new operating models in this new digital
economy. Unfortunately, many are going to assume that it was only
necessary for the period of the pandemic, and will want to revert to
their traditional ways of doing things prior to the outbreak once all
the dust settles. I empathize with those businesses.

Mark.