COVID-19 vs. our Networks

Clayton Zekelman clayton at MNSi.Net
Sat Mar 14 18:49:49 UTC 2020

The access facility and the underlying long haul
are telecommunications services.  The application
provided using that facility may or may not
be.  The congestion you were experiencing was not
with the telecommunications facility itself, but
with the application running on it, and was as
you state, outside of your network - on a CDN
hosted service.  Your argument is with your third
party hosted service.   Their argument is with their CDN.

Internet exchange points are not
regulated.  Interconnections between ISPs and
CDNs are private agreements, and are always at
risk of congestion and commercial dispute between
the parties.  There is a long history of this.

If you have a direct layer 2 or 3 private line to
your hosted service provider's CDN, and it was
not performing as per the SLA, then you need to take that up with them.

If the underlying telecommunications facility
failed, and was classified as critical
infrastructure, and not restored in a timely
manner, then you need to take that up with the provider of that infrastructure.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but the fact
remains that there is a distinction between
telecommunications services, and Internet
services.  The fact that Internet services (and
I'm not talking about any one particular DIA
circuit, but the rather the global network of
networks) work so well most of the time, such
that people tend to start treating it as a
substitute for telecommunications services is pretty impressive.

There are cost/benefit tradeoffs for using cloud
hosted services and public Internet
infrastructure.  You save money by not operating
the data centre yourself, but you pay for it in
reliability.   Your organization may have made
that choice, but to say that because you chose to
put critical applications on Internet
infrastructure, other users of the Internet
should take a back seat to your needs seems to be
a bit of a stretch.   Again, if your provider
sold this to you as something that was NOT
relying on public Internet, and was Layer 2/3
private managed services with dedicated
bandwidth, then you need to have a conversation with them.

--

Clayton Zekelman
Managed Network Systems Inc. (MNSi)

tel. 519-985-8410