COVID-19 vs. our Networks

Hugo Slabbert hugo at slabnet.com
Sat Mar 14 19:05:55 UTC 2020

I don't want to get in a fight, but absolutely:
Folks saw congestion from a massive free content drop this past week.

But as folks had called out, that was the CDN angle of distributing that
content rather than the actual game play. There is a rather long discussion
about that in the "akamai yesterday - what in the world was that" thread
from Jan/Feb/March.

I don't want to trivialize the challenges people may have from knock-on
effects of upstream providers facing congestion or CDNs that have
co-located content on nodes serving those bits with other bits, but did
want to carve out regular online gameplay from content distribution.
Whether people end up adjusting plans around large content distribution at
this time, I guess remains to be seen.