questions asked during network engineer interview

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Thu Jul 23 04:03:32 UTC 2020

On 23/Jul/20 01:04, Brandon Martin wrote:

> Of course, there's also plenty of folks out there without them or any
> certs at all that are just as useful in practice.  Getting those
> particular certifications does, however, seem to be a useful path to
> learning things that are actually of use in the "real world".  I look
> at such certificates similar to how I'd look at a 2- or 4-year degree
> in a related IT field and just a somewhat different, and perhaps more
> approachable for the self-coached or differently-learning, path.

You get two kinds of folk re: certifications:

Those that want to pile up as many certifications as they can, and may
not know when to slow down to actually put those skills into production.

And those who can't wait to put what they have learned into practice,
sometimes at the expense of finding time to actually sit the exam.

It's been a while since I reviewed any certification programs for
network engineers. We live in a time where I am concerned about the
engineers we are creating, where point & click seems to trump basic
understanding + CLI knowledge. My concern is when it all goes to hell at
3AM, do the next generation of network engineers have the base
fundamentals to understand why iBGP isn't coming up, even though you can
"ping" and IGP adjacencies are up and stable?

Mark.