questions asked during network engineer interview

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Wed Jul 22 23:16:21 UTC 2020

----- On Jul 22, 2020, at 4:04 PM, Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net wrote:

Hi,

> The CCIE and JNCIE (and perhaps other vendor equivalents) are some of
> the few vendor certs I've found often (though not always) meaningful.

Well, in the good old days when you could not pass an IE exam by simply taking a
bootcamp the week before...

> Of course, there's also plenty of folks out there without them or any
> certs at all that are just as useful in practice.

I have the "old school" JNCIE-M. If anything, it's the troubleshooting under
pressure that's a skill that's being tested. Everyone could finish the lab
successfully in a week, doing it in 8 hours was the challenge.

Someone advertising a CCIE or JNCIE cert on their resume is raising my expectations
in terms of being able to have a solid understanding of at least one protocol. I
also like to talk about their journey through the program. This is where I'm able
to tell the difference between the ones that are passionate about it, and the
ones that had to pass the exam so their employer could get additional discounts..

Thanks,

Sabri