questions asked during network engineer interview

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Thu Jul 23 09:03:15 UTC 2020

> Mark Tinka
> Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 5:04 AM
>
> On 23/Jul/20 01:04, Brandon Martin wrote:
>

> > Of course, there's also plenty of folks out there without them or any
> > certs at all that are just as useful in practice.  Getting those
> > particular certifications does, however, seem to be a useful path to
> > learning things that are actually of use in the "real world".  I look
> > at such certificates similar to how I'd look at a 2- or 4-year degree
> > in a related IT field and just a somewhat different, and perhaps more
> > approachable for the self-coached or differently-learning, path.
>
> We live in a time where I am concerned about the engineers we
> are creating, where point & click seems to trump basic understanding + CLI
> knowledge. My concern is when it all goes to hell at 3AM, do the next
> generation of network engineers have the base fundamentals to understand
> why iBGP isn't coming up, even though you can "ping" and IGP adjacencies
> are up and stable?

Hopefully well end up in a world where all checks one can do to figure out why iBGP session is down along with suggested corrective actions will be coded in some network self-healing workflow.
But to answer your question, probably no, cause current industry is systematically converting network engineers into coders.

adam