breakout

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 16:29:43 UTC 2020

 Hello

In my opinion the "nice" way of breaking out QSFP into 10G is something
like this:

https://www.fs.com/de-en/products/43552.html

40GBASE-PLR4 to 10GBASE-LR Breakout Panel 1U Rack-Mount, 24x LC Quad, 12x
MTP Elite (0.35dB IL), Single Mode

You connect your QSFP module using a MTP cable to the breakout panel. That
particular panel will accept up to 12x MTP connections (12 QSFP ports)
which equals 48x 10G LR 10 km single mode.

If you don't need quite that many breakouts this solution is also available
in smaller cassettes:

https://www.fs.com/de-en/products/68401.html

MTP-8 to 4x LC Duplex, 8 Fibres OS2 Single Mode FHD MTP Cassette

That will terminate one MTP cable (1 QSFP port).

I prefer the panel solution over breakout cables because the later assumes
all the connections are going the same place. Also the panel solution will
appear as an extension of the switch or router. Mentally it is simply extra
ports on a separate panel.

Regards,

Baldur