breakout

Radu-Adrian Feurdean nanog at radu-adrian.feurdean.net
Thu Jan 9 15:31:53 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020, at 20:09, Randy Bush wrote:
> i am not a fiber/sfp/... geek, so clue bat please
>
> on my left, i have a delta 9020SL running arcos, female 40g qsfp
>
> on my right, i have incoming 10g 1310nm single mode from the seattle
> internet exchange.  it is currently into a redstone 10g sfp

Ideally, you should use a "breakout optic" if supported by your device: it plugs into an 40Gbps port and delivers 4x10 Gbps via a MTP/MPO "breakout cable" (MTP/MPO at one end, change from one fat cable to 4 duplex cables somewhere in the middle, 4xLC duplex at the other end).
Optic : https://www.fs.com/fr/products/37016.html (or the "riskier" 1km version : https://www.fs.com/fr/products/48276.html )
Cable : https://www.fs.com/fr/products/80240.html

An "10G into 40G port adapter", as previously suggested could also work.

>     NAME                VALUE
>     ---------------------------------
>     SwPort              1
>     Status              PRESENT
>     Valid               True
>     Vendor              FiberStore
>     Model               SFP-10GLR-31
>     Serial-Number       G1804021292
>     Type                SFP
>     Module-Type         10G_BASE_SX
>     Media-Type          FIBER
>     Module-Capability   F_10G
>     Length              255
>     Length-Description
>
> which i am swapping out for the delta 9020

At some point I can see "10G_BASE_SX" which is a little confusing, since "Base SX" is 1G on multi-mode fiber, in conflict with "SFP-10GLR" which is 10G on single-mode. It really is a 10G-LR, right ?

> so i am look at something such as https://www.fs.com/products/30900.html
> except i do not understand active/passive, AOC1M, etc

Don't ! DAC (usually copper-based) and AOC are cables with optics at each end (if you can call a "copper optic" an "optic"....). Cable cannot be detached from the *SFP*.