breakout

Olivier Benghozi olivier.benghozi at wifirst.fr
Fri Jan 10 14:19:04 UTC 2020

Hi,

yep, that's the right way to work cleanly, just add a «special patch panel» instead of dealing with plenty of additional wires.

We use such method to do 10GE with routers modules full of QSFP+ configured as 4x10. On our side we went for a modular Huber+Suhner solution, 1 U with a maximum of 18 MTP (from 18 QSFP+) internally wired to 72 LC duplex.
I searched a bit before choosing this, it looks like this was (still is ?) the denser solution.

They are divided in modules of 3 MTP to 12 LC-duplex (wired accordingly to the QSFP+ / MTP8 pairing):
https://ecatalog.hubersuhner.com/product/E-Catalog/Fiber-optics/Fiber-management-systems/Modules/ITD-12-LCUD-03-08CF-SM-NS-00WW <https://ecatalog.hubersuhner.com/product/E-Catalog/Fiber-optics/Fiber-management-systems/Modules/ITD-12-LCUD-03-08CF-SM-NS-00WW>

They go inside some various chassis, we use their 1U one than can host 6 of such modules:
https://ecatalog.hubersuhner.com/product/E-Catalog/Fiber-optics/Fiber-management-systems/Chassis/IANOS-STD-CHASSIS-FLX-1U-2G-T4 <https://ecatalog.hubersuhner.com/product/E-Catalog/Fiber-optics/Fiber-management-systems/Chassis/IANOS-STD-CHASSIS-FLX-1U-2G-T4>

We use them since 2017: https://twitter.com/OBenghozi/status/885528976801837057 <https://twitter.com/OBenghozi/status/885528976801837057>

regards,
Olivier