[External] Re: 10g residential CPE

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Fri Dec 25 21:40:39 UTC 2020

On 12/25/20 1:25 PM, John Levine wrote:
> In article <dc462f3d-2b2c-f294-d4d3-f28cf083fcf8 at mtcc.com> you write:
>> I'm fine with "free stuff". But it seems we've hit saturation on a
>> number of front like camera and screen pixels, ghz of cpu, TB's of disk,
>> Gb's of netio for residential stuff.
>>
>> My provider on the other (Volcano Internet) doesn't seem to have got
>> this memo though. They are building out fiber and the rate sheet is the
>> same as for DSL. I mean, wtf?
> How fast is your DSL?  It looks like your provider's DSL tops out at 50/5, which
> I suspect is not available everywhere, while fiber starts at 25/25 and goes to 100/100.
>
> I rather like the 100/100 symmetrical bandwidth on my fiber. I can
> assure you that 100/100 feels noticably faster than 25/5 even though
> nothing here would use even 25Mb sustained.

They max out at 50, which i might be able to get since I think the
pedestal is about 1/2 mile away. When I was with Sonic they have that
Fusion product but I think I could only get 50 because I was about 9000'
from the CO in SF.

I'd definitely appreciate symmetric, or at least better in upstream.
Obviously zoom and all of that has made a lie of us not needing
upstream. It would make cloud based "filesystems" more feasible too.

But the larger point is why bother going to all of that effort if you're
just going roll it out with low bandwidth? I mean, 100Mbps isn't even
competitive with cable these days. But they're a somewhat crazy amalgam.
They have POTS everywhere, cable tv everywhere, cable IP in some areas
and DSL in others. I wish I knew somebody there to talk to this about
because it's really odd.

Mike