[External] Re: 10g residential CPE

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Fri Dec 25 22:32:35 UTC 2020

In article <3b0bc95b-c741-7561-1692-75fac74d5883 at mtcc.com> you write:
>I'd definitely appreciate symmetric, or at least better in upstream.
>Obviously zoom and all of that has made a lie of us not needing
>upstream. It would make cloud based "filesystems" more feasible too.
>
>But the larger point is why bother going to all of that effort if you're
>just going roll it out with low bandwidth? I mean, 100Mbps isn't even
>competitive with cable these days. But they're a somewhat crazy amalgam.
>They have POTS everywhere, cable tv everywhere, cable IP in some areas
>and DSL in others. I wish I knew somebody there to talk to this about
>because it's really odd.

I agree it is odd to make 100/100 the top speed. The fiber service I
have from my local non-Bell telco offers 100/100, 500/500, and
1000/1000. FiOS where you can get it goes to 940/880.

The obvious guess is that their upstream bandwidth is
underprovisioned, or maybe they figure 100/100 is all they need to
compete in that particular market.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl at taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",