[External] Re: 10g residential CPE

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Fri Dec 25 21:25:56 UTC 2020

In article <dc462f3d-2b2c-f294-d4d3-f28cf083fcf8 at mtcc.com> you write:
>I'm fine with "free stuff". But it seems we've hit saturation on a
>number of front like camera and screen pixels, ghz of cpu, TB's of disk,
>Gb's of netio for residential stuff.
>
>My provider on the other (Volcano Internet) doesn't seem to have got
>this memo though. They are building out fiber and the rate sheet is the
>same as for DSL. I mean, wtf?

How fast is your DSL?  It looks like your provider's DSL tops out at 50/5, which
I suspect is not available everywhere, while fiber starts at 25/25 and goes to 100/100.

I rather like the 100/100 symmetrical bandwidth on my fiber. I can
assure you that 100/100 feels noticably faster than 25/5 even though
nothing here would use even 25Mb sustained.

R's,
John