Are the days of the showpiece NOC office display gone forever?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Wed Dec 16 21:46:00 UTC 2020

Dave Cohen wrote:
> Frankly, I think the days of the "showpiece NOC" being relevant ended
> a while before COVID. I worked at a Tier 1 for >10 years in a
> customer-facing capacity, largely dealing with "serious" enterprise
> customers. The number of customers who toured the NOC in that time was
> less than 5 (i.e much less than 1%), despite generally offering it up
> to new and quickly-scaling customers. I actually spent more time
> visiting customer NOCs over that time than I did my own with customers
> (and some of theirs were more impressive anyway).
I just remember that, back in my BBN days (a LONG time ago), the various
Defense Data Network NOCs, around the world, used to keep their
big-screen monitors tuned to CNN.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown