Are the days of the showpiece NOC office display gone forever?

Dave Cohen craetdave at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 21:01:44 UTC 2020

Frankly, I think the days of the "showpiece NOC" being relevant ended a
while before COVID. I worked at a Tier 1 for >10 years in a customer-facing
capacity, largely dealing with "serious" enterprise customers. The number
of customers who toured the NOC in that time was less than 5 (i.e much less
than 1%), despite generally offering it up to new and quickly-scaling
customers. I actually spent more time visiting customer NOCs over that time
than I did my own with customers (and some of theirs were more impressive
anyway).

Now, I did spend a lot of time coordinating calls between the NOC and
customers, some of which was in the break-fix, mea culpa sort of vain, but
also a lot of "spend time getting comfortable" types of conversations too,
especially with customers considering their first service. So it wasn't
that folks didn't care about what was going on there inasmuch as they
recognized (quite rightfully IMO) that they weren't going to get any value
being there that they couldn't get meeting the folks and learning about
operational procedures, etc. over a conference call, so why waste the
time/money to travel for that sort of thing?

I don't know if I have a biased sample or if this is reflective of the norm
these days, but the "NOC Tour" was something that didn't get executed on
very often.

--
- Dave Cohen
craetdave at gmail.com